Faculty of Geology & Geoenvironment
Department of Economic Geology & Geochemistry
Panepistimiopoli, Zografou 157 84
Tel / FAX: +030 210 7274210
e-mail at: email@example.com
Brief Curriculum Vitae
Position held - Career
Nikolaos Skarpelis is currently Professor of Geology of Mineral
Deposits and Mineral Exploration in the Department of Economic Geology and Geochemistry,
Faculty of Geology and Geoenvironment at the
He started his geological career as an exploration geologist
with the United Nations Development Program:
Project “Uranium exploration in
He has more than 30 years of experience directly devoted to the geology of mineral deposits.
leaves for studies and research at the Mineralogical Institute of the TU of Braunschweig, the
Research interests - research projects
He has conducted detailed geological mapping and metallogenic studies of mineral prospects. His research is based on extended field studies of ore systems, using a multidisciplinary approach integrating detailed mapping with petrography, mineral chemistry, whole-rock geochemistry and geochronology. During the last 10 years he carried out studies on the environmental impact of supergene alteration and exploitation of sulfide ores.
has completed exploration programs for critical metals and gold, and research projects funded by the Greek Secretariat for
Research and Technology, mining companies, marble quarrying companies, the
European Union, the Greek Ministry of Education, the
Completed research projects (selected)
§ Cretaceous and Eocene Ni-laterites and laterite-derived sedimentary nickeliferous iron-ores and bauxites (SE Balkans): Lateritization processes, ore mineralogy and chemistry, origin, diagenetic modification.
for epithermal Au (NE Greece and the
§ Exploration for electronic metals in polymetallic sulfide ores.
§ REE mineralogy and geochemistry of karstic nickel and karstic bauxite deposits.
of a chrysotile asbestos deposit (Zidani,
§ The geology of the Late Miocene Lavrion carbonate replacement Pb-Ag-Zn sulfide deposit.
§ Industrial mineral resource assessment (graphite, garnet, carbonates).
§ Geology and environmental impact assessment of exploitation of HS epithermal-type Pb-Zn-Ag mineralization (Kirki, NE Greece).
§ Late Miocene extensional structural control on fluid channeling and mineralization in the Attic-Cycladic belt.
§ Petrology and metallogeny of the External Metamorphic Belt of the Hellenides.
§ Exploration for primary Titanium mineralization in metabasites (Rhodope and Eastern Aegean islands).
Current research interests
§ Geodynamics and evolution of the mineralization in the Aegean: Ore systems associated with metamorphic core complexes (Attic-Cycladic belt, Tertiary Rhodope basins).
§ Exploration for critical metals and epithermal Au in Northern Greece (research and consulting projects).
§ Assessment of environmental impact of mining and processing of Epithermal, Volcanogenic Massive Sulfides and Carbonate-hosted Replacement-type sulfide deposits (Northern Greece, Cyprus, Lavrion).
§ Geology of Mineral Deposits: lecture - microscopy course - field trips
§ Geology of Mineral Deposits - metallic and non-metallic: lecture - microscopy course - field trips (Department of Mineral Resources Engineering, Technical University of Crete, 1999-2004)
§ Environmental Management of Mineral Resources - Post-graduate course: Case studies of current research on environmental aspects of weathering of sulfide ores, processing and exploitation of mineral resources: lectures - field trips.
Recent invited talks
§ Greek Mining Enterprises Association, Thessaloniki, May 2010: “Mineral resources exploitation in Greece: Wealth creation with respect for the environment”.
§ Services for the mineral industry: field and lab work, data evaluation, reporting.
§ Services for marble quarrying companies: reserve estimation, reporting.
Organization of field trips
Organization and guidance of field trips for groups of students of foreign and greek universities, participants of international congresses and people of the mining sector in areas of geological interest.
§ Society of Economic Geologists (Fellow)
§ Geochemical Society
§ Society of Resource Geology
§ International Mineralogical Association
Professional Society Activities
§ Member of Organizing and Scientific Committees of International Congresses.
§ Founding member of the Committee of “Economic Geology, Mineralogy and Geochemistry” and the Committee on “Geoscience Teaching” of the Geological Society of Greece.
§ Academic Advisor of the “Society of Economic Geologists - University of Athens Student Chapter”.
§ Resource Geology (Wiley - Blackwell Publications)
§ International Journal of Earth Sciences
§ Scweicherische Mineralogische und Petrographische Mitteilungen (SMPM)
§ Geochemistry: Exploration, Environment, Analysis
§ Sedimentary Geology
of the Geological Society,
§ Neues Jahrbuch für Mineralogie Abh. (Å. Schweizerbart’sche Verlags, Stuttgart)
§ Mineralogy and Petrology (Springer)
§ Geologica Carpathica
§ Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences
Geological Society of
§ Çellenic Journal of Geosciences
geoarchaeology: mining and
metallurgy in the
§ The future of Geology teaching in High-schools.
Recent key publications
· Skarpelis, N. (2011) Critical metal resources in Epithermal and porphyry systems in N. Greece. Geological Society of London, FERMOR 2011 Conference, September 2011, London (Abstract).
· Triantafyllidis, S. and Skarpelis, N. (2010) Geochemical investigation and modelling of an acid pit lake from a high sulfidation ore deposit: Kirki, NE Greece. Bull. Geol. Soc. Greece, 53, 5, 2417-2424.
· Marschik R., Bauer T., Hensler A.-S., Skarpelis, N. & Hölzl, S. (2010) Ésotope geochemistry of the Pb-Zn-Ba (-Ag-Au) mineralization at Triades-Galana, Milos Island. Resource Geology, 60, 4, 335–347.
· Skarpelis, N. & Argyraki, A. (2009) Geology and Origin of Supergene Ore at the Lavrion Pb-Ag-Zn Deposit, Attica, Greece, Resource Geology, 59, 1, 1-14.
· Liati, A., Skarpelis, N. & Pe-Piper, G. (2009) Late Miocene magmatic activity in the Attic-Cycladic Belt of the Aegean (Lavrion, SE Attica, Greece): implications for the geodynamic evolution and timing of ore deposition. Geol. Mag., 146, 5, 732-742.
· Kalaitzidis, S., Siavalas, G., Skarpelis, N., Araujo, C.V. & Christanis, K. (2009) Late Creataceous coal overlying karstic bauxite deposits in the Parnassus-Ghiona Unit, Central Greece: Coal characteristics and depositional environment. International Journal of Coal Geology, doi: 10-1016/j.coal.2009.06.005.
· Skarpelis, N., Tsikouras, B. & Pe-Piper, G. (2008) The Miocene igneous rocks in the Basal Unit of Lavrion (SE Attica, Greece): petrology and geodynamic implications. Geol. Mag. 145, 1, 1-15.
· Skarpelis, N. (2007) The Lavrion deposit: geology, mineralogy and minor elements chemistry. N. Jb. Miner. Abh. 183/3, 227-249.
· Herrington, R., Boni, M., Skarpelis, N. & Large, D. (2007) Paleoclimate, weathering and ore deposits - a European perspective. In: Proceedings of the 9th Biennial SGA Meeting, “Digging Deeper”, C.J. Andrew et al. eds., Dublin,1373-1376.
· Triantafyllidis, St., Skarpelis, N. & Komnitsas, K. (2007) Environmental Characterization and Geochemistry of Kirki, Thrace, NE Greece, Abandoned Flotation Tailing Dumps. Environmental Forensics, 8, 4, 351 – 359.
· Skarpelis, N., Lüders, V. & Banks, D. (2007) Fluid inclusions, REE and Sulfur Isotope Geochemistry of the Lavrion Carbonate hosted Ore Deposit, SE Attica, Greece. GOLDSCHMIDT 07 Annual conference, Geoch. Cosmoch. Acta 71, Supplement no 15S, A 945.
· Skarpelis, N. (2007) Late Miocene extensional structural control on fluid channelling and mineralization in the Attic-Cycladic belt. Geological Society of America - Penrose Conference “Extending a Continent: Architecture, Rheological Coupling, and Heat Budget” Island of Naxos, 8-12 October 2007 (Program - Poster session).
· Skarpelis, N. (2006) Lateritization processes of ultramafic rocks in Cretaceous times: The fossil weathering crusts of mainland Greece. J. Geochem. Explor. 88, 1-3, 325-328.
· Triantafyllidis, S. & Skarpelis, N. (2006) Mineral formation in an acid pit lake from a high-sulfidation ore deposit: Kirki, NE Greece. J. Geochem. Explor. 88, 1-3, 68-71.
· Skarpelis, N. & Gilg, H.A. (2006) Miocene extensional fault-controlled mineralization in the central Aegean (Mykonos, Cyclades): deposition from a two-stage hydrothermal system? Neogene Magmatism of the Central Aegean and Adjacent Areas: Petrology, Tectonics, Geodynamics, Mineral Resources and Environment (NECAM 2006), Book of Abstracts, p. 36, September 11 – 13, Milos island.
· Skarpelis, N. & Triantafyllidis, S. (2004) Environmental impact from supergene alteration and exploitation of a high sulfidation epithermal type mineralization (Kirki, NE Greece). Trans. Inst. Min. Metall., Applied Earth Science B, 113 (1), 110-116.
· Liati, A. & Skarpelis, N. (2004) The metabauxites of Ikaria island, Eastern Aegean, Greece. 5th International Symposium on eastern Mediterranean Geology, Thessaloniki, Greece, 14-20 April, 2004, 1427-1430.
· Skarpelis, N. & Koutles, Th. (2004) Geology of epithermal mineralization of the NW part of Milos island, Greece. 5th International Symposium on Eastern Mediterranean Geology, Thessaloniki, Greece, 14-20 April, 2004, 1449-1452.